Home / News & events / Could you be entitled to a Council Tax reduction?

Could you be entitled to a Council Tax reduction?

Posted: August 11, 2023

Did you know that many people, depending on their circumstances, are entitled to reductions on their Council Tax? There are many reasons why you could be eligible for a discount, exemption, or reduction, as explained below…

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) if you’re liable for the Council Tax bill and you:

  1. Are working and have a low income and capital below £16,000
  2. Not working i.e. retired and on a low income
  3. Guarantee credit part of Pension Credit. You can apply for full CTR even if your weekly entitlement to the guarantee credit is too small to be payable
  4. Universal Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment Support Allowance
  5. If another adult who is not your partner lives with you, your maximum Council Tax Reduction might be less because they are expected to contribute to the Council Tax bill. This is called a ‘non-dependent deduction’.

Second Adult Rebate

If you live with another adult who is not your partner or joint tenant you might be able to claim Second Adult Rebate. The other person must:

  1. Have income below a certain amount
  2. Be 18 or over
  3. Not be someone who would be exempt if they lived on their own, for example, a student or care leaver

Check if you can get Council Tax bands E to H relief

You will usually be eligible for bands E to H relief if all of the following apply:

  1. Your home is in band E, F, G or H – this will be stated on your Council Tax bill
  2. You live in the property as your main home
  3. Your income is below a certain amount
  4. Your capital is below £16,000

Single Person Discount

If you are the only adult living in a property and it’s your sole or main home, a council tax discount of 25% may apply.

Student Discount/Exemption

  1. If you live on your own or with other students, you may be exempt from Council Tax if all full time student
  2. If you live with only one other person let the local authority know as your household will be eligible for a 25% council tax discount

Apprentice, Youth Trainee

If a member of your household is undergoing a training course as an Apprentice or Youth Trainee, you may be eligible for a discount on your council tax bill.

To qualify, the trainee must be:

  1. Aged under 25
  2. Undergoing a recognised course of training
  3. Paid no more than £237 per week gross

To qualify, the apprentice must be:

  1. Paid no more than £237 per week gross
  2. And the training must lead to a qualification recognised by the Office of Qualifications and Examination Regulation or the Scottish Vocational Education Council

Young People Leaving Care

An exemption or discount from Council Tax can apply where a young person is no longer under Local Authority care. The person must:

  1. Have been looked after by a Local Authority on or after their 16th birthday
  2. Be under 26
  3. No longer be looked after by a Local Authority

Carers Discount

If you’re a carer, you may be eligible for a discount if you’re living with the person you care for and they are not your partner or a child under 18. You must be providing care for at least 35 hours per week and the person being cared for must be in receipt of the highest rate of Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance (Care) or enhanced rate of Personal Independence Payment (Daily Living Component) or Enhanced rate of Adult Disability Payment (Daily Living Component).

Disablement Relief

If there is someone (an adult or child) living in your home who is substantially and permanently disabled, you could be entitled to a reduction. The reduction is made by charging council tax at the valuation band below the one the property is in. For example, if your property is in band D, the council tax bill will be worked out as if it were in band C. This reduction also applies if your home is in band A. The property must have one of the features shown below and this must be essential or of major importance to the disabled person’s wellbeing.

  1. An extra kitchen or bathroom for the particular needs of the disabled person
  2. Any other room which is not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet and is mainly used by the disabled person
  3. Enough indoor space for the disabled person to use their wheelchair (the wheelchair must be needed by the disabled person for day to day living

Mentally Impaired

An exemption or discount on your Council Tax bill:

  1. If every adult in the house is severely mentally impaired, an exemption can apply
  2. If all but one adult in the house are severely mentally impaired, a 25% discount can apply

Persons from Ukraine Exemption/Discount

An exemption or discount from Council Tax may apply where persons from Ukraine are resident in a property